Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY)
What is Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana?
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana, launched on 1st June 2015, is an initiative by Prime Minister Narendra Modi of India in which affordable housing will be provided to the urban poor with a target of building 20 million affordable houses by 31 March 2022.
- PMAY has been divided into two categories:
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) (PMAY-U): for the urban poor
- Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana (Gramin) (PMAY-G and also PMAY-R): for the rural poor
- This scheme is converged with other schemes to ensure houses have a toilet, Saubhagya Yojana electricity connection, Ujjwala Yojana LPG gas connection, access to drinking water and Jan Dhan banking facilities, etc.
- This Mission has four components:
- In-site Slum Redevelopment with private sector participation using land as resource
- Affordable Housing through Credit Linked Subsidy
- Affordable Housing in Partnership with private and public sector
- Beneficiary led house construction/enhancement.
- 3 Phases of PMAY envisage starting and completing the house construction work as follows:
- PMAY Phase-1 from April 2015 to March 2017 to cover 100 cities.
- PMAY Phase-2 from April 2017 to March 2019 to cover additional 200 cities.
- PMAY Phase-3 from April 2019 to March 2022 to cover the remaining cities.
Key Features of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
- The government will provide an interest subsidy of 6.5% on housing loans availed by the beneficiaries for a period of 20 years under credit link subsidy scheme (CLSS) from the start of a loan.
- The houses under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana would be constructed through a technology that is Eco-friendly.
- While allotting ground floors in any housing scheme under PMAY, preference will be given to differently abled and older persons.
- All the applicants of this scheme must include the name of their mother and/or wife during the time of registration. This is done because the newly allotted house could be either allotted in the name of the matriarch of the family or in the name of jointly the male and female head of the family.
Eligibility of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
- Maximum age of the beneficiary must be 70 years
- Beneficiary must be a part of one of the following groups:
- EWS (Economic Weaker Section) with annual income less than Rupees 3 Lac
- LIG (Lower Income Group) with Annual Income of Rupees 3 to 6 Lac
- Mid Income group
- The beneficiary should not have an own dwelling unit on the name of any family member in any part of India.
Efficiency of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana targets the poor and marginalized population but ignores the plights of migrant workers in Indian cities who are living in nightmarish conditions.
- Migrants do not have proper domicile certificate in the city that devoid them from the H4A and other beneficial schemes for ration, water, sanitation and cooking fuel.
- Poor financial conditions force these workers to stay in non-fit for living conditions like inside factory environment near the machines, below flyovers, on open space etc.
- They face the constant threat of eviction and confiscation of their meager assets.
Migrant labor is the highest victims of road accidents.
- Migrant laborers work irregular and insecure jobs, involving long hours for low wages, in an unsafe workplace.
- The efficiency of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana will remain questionable and India’s urban housing crisis will only aggravate further if the government fails to listen to the needs of the migrant population.
Also Read: All Government Schemes Update PDF 2018
Hope this post was helpful. If you have questions or queries related to this topic or any other topics, feel free to comment below.